One of API’s core values is to offer high-quality international programs in diverse locations that appeal to a wide variety of student interests and majors. Students have found that some majors can be more challenging than others when searching for options abroad; one example being health studies. Thankfully, we have partnered with several outstanding universities and academic institutions abroad to be able to offer health studies programs. One such program that we are particularly excited to talk about is the Health in Latin America program at the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS) in San José, Costa Rica.
This program is ideal for those who want to pursue health studies while studying abroad in Latin America. ICDS, in partnership with Hospital Clínica Bíblica, offers an eleven-week program to provide university students in the health fields an opportunity to improve their language proficiency and interact with Spanish-speaking patients and their families, while gaining a more in-depth understanding of healthcare in Latin America.
- Designed for students pursuing health studies
- Perfect for students on the quarter system (January through March)
- Students take one Spanish for Healthcare course, designed to assist students with their Spanish language skills for medical purposes.
- Students also take three courses in English, including Economics of Health Care Systems, Healthcare in Latin America, Health and Vulnerable Populations.
- Students with an advanced level of Spanish are eligible to observe clinical rotations at the largest and most prestigious private hospital in Costa Rica, the Hospital Clínica Bíblica.
- Students live with local host families, another great outlet to practice their Spanish
- Courses are taught by ICDS at the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica campus. This is a great opportunity for integration with local Costa Rican, or “Tico” students!
- Open to students with an intermediate level of Spanish (at least 1 year of college level Spanish or the equivalent)
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
How to apply in 2 easy steps:
- Meet with your study abroad or academic advisors to determine how study abroad works at your home university.
- Visit the API website, speak with our Costa Rica Program Coordinator, and APPLY NOW – the deadline for this program is October 20, 2016!
For more information on this exciting study abroad option, check out the link below ↓